“Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” —Ernest
10 years after his first expedition to South Georgia in the Arctic Circle, Sebastián Álvaro is returning to follow the footsteps of Sir Ernest Shackleton, in what was undoubtedly his most legendary feat: crossing the Island of San Pedro to rescue the crew of the Endurance, which had been trapped on Elephant Island while undertaking the British Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition.
Álvero and his team will repeat the adventure up to Grytviken, where Shackleton rescued all his men alive after 18 long months of loneliness and cold. There, they will entrust their delicate expedition equipment to Peli, who else? Among their kit, they’ll be carrying Peli Headlights to guide them through the dark Arctic nights, HardBack cases for their tablets and laptops, and Vault cases and Peli Sport Armbands, Vehicle and Bike Mounts for their iPhones.
Members of the Expedition
· Sebastian Alvaro. Expedition leader. Has undertaken more than 250 expeditions. As a journalist, he began working as in Spanish national television and, from 1981 worked on creating a critically acclaimed adventure documentary format called “The Edge of the Impossible”. For 30 years he has been the greatest adventure expeditions leader of Spain, coordinating a team of technicians and specialists, capable of undertaking and filming the most daring adventures, from the ascension of fourteen peaks over eight thousand feet to voyages to the North and South Poles, and the deserts of the Taklamakan and the Great Sand Sea. He has also explored places as inhospitable as the Yarlung Tsangpo Canyon, Antarctica, Tierra del Fuego, Karakorum and South Georgia.
· Juanjo San Sebastián. Climber and writer. Among other feats, he has conquered the summit of K2.
· Ramon Portilla. More than 100 expeditions. Just climbed the Laila Peak in Pakistan, one of the world’s most beautiful mountains.
· Luis Heras. Motorcycle expeditions on five continents.
· Mariano Izquierdo. Camera operator
Stay tuned to the blog for news and photos of the expedition, as it happens!